Thursday, November 10, 2011

Happy Birthday Mom!

11.10.11

Today is a very special day. My mother is celebrating her ___th birthday! Knowing my mom, I can put a number on that line and she wouldn't mind. She's always been so confident and proud that way; nothing to hide, what you see is what you get. She also probably wouldn't be able to read this until she gets home from work. To her it's just another birthday but to me, it's a realization that although she's getting much wiser and prettier, she's also getting older. That is a beautiful thing in life. So let me tell you a bit about my mother:

She's a wonderful cook. She can "whip" something from scratch just by glancing at what's in the fridge. A task still very much a challenge to me.

Everyday without fail from the second I set foot in pre-school to the moment I received my college diploma she always asked: "How was your day?", "How was school?" Never failing to say, never expecting more than nods, "Ok's" or "It was good." At times (many times) her words are as assuring as a compass. A marker to let me know that everything will be alright, a sign that I'm home.

She bears more strength than any man I know or any man combined. She raised me, from the moment she began labor (mid-laughter) on that beautiful hot Fall night to this day, I have not seen anyone with that strength, courage, conviction, kindness and humility.

She's got a viciously contagious laughter that fills the room with warmth.

She'll give you her last piece of pie (even though she really, really wants it).

She'll take for nothing and give everything. All my life she's always given, given me so much more than what I could ask for or expect.

No longer the little girl I once was I made a pledge to myself that the closeness I had with my mother will only strengthen through time. I spend time with her as much as I can and try to call her everyday to see how she's doing, how her day went. "I love you's" are never overused and "Have an amazing day" is just icing on the cake. I've had and continue to have an amazing life because of my mother and everyday I'm filled with gratitude in my prayers. She's always wanted ONE thing for me and that was to be happy. Happy birthday momma! I love you for who you are and I'm so proud of everything that is in me...that is you.

Lahat nang pagpapakasakit mo sa buhay para sa akin...salamat sa lahat at hindi ko makakalimutan. Ikaw ang aking ilaw magbuhat noong bata pa ako at ngayon. Magandang kaarawan sa mahal kong ina.


5


***Since she's working tonight, me and Lawrence are surprising her at work with tokens of sweets and nothing but goodness